Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Do I Have Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction?

Detail from a statue of Hercules at the Corinth Museum

For a few months now I have been suffering from pain in my left foot. At first it was plantar fasciitis, a pain that was intense in the mornings, but faded away during the day. I realized I had a tendency to put all my weight on my left foot, so I tried to change my habits, and after some stretching to improve my ankle flexibility, the plantar pain faded away.

Then I became aware of other pains in my left foot.

In the pad right under my heel was a dull ache that intensified if I stood for a long time. Also, there was, and still is, a burning pain along the inside of my ankle, running down toward my heel. This pain eases when I rest my foot and increases during the day as I commute and sit at my desk.

After some simple research, I realize that all the symptoms point to:

a. Inflammation of the fat pad under the heel
b. Posterior tibial tendon dysfunction

Now this really shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I have tried resting (which is why this blog doesn't have any posts yet on my fitness regime), ice, elevation, and compression. The pain is subsiding, but it is still very much there. Even a moderate amount of extra activity, such as walking up a hill fast, aggravates and intensifies the pain. Same goes for the pain in the fat pad.

Therefore, in an effort to get this foot healed so I can get back to getting fit, I am going to visit a doctor.

Why haven't you done this already, you ask. Well, I'm not sure who to go to here in Addis. I've asked around, but nobody I've asked knows a doctor who specializes in foot injuries. One of my friend's has recommended a sports doctor, and my sister has recommended a physiotherapist, so this week, that's where I'll be going.

It seems contrary to stay put in order to be fit, but I do not want to aggravate something that may be simple and turn it into something that bothers me every single day. So my hope is that, even if I lose some muscle and gain some paunch, I will be fitter after I heal that heel.

I really hope these pains don't indicate more serious problems, such as a thinning or displacement of the fat pad (which sounds frightfully painful) or the beginning of arthritis (which is not something I welcome), but either way, knowing sooner is better.

I will update next week after my visit to the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment